Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-3,000 migrants leave southern Mexico on foot in a new caravan headed for the US border -ApexWealth
Charles H. Sloan-3,000 migrants leave southern Mexico on foot in a new caravan headed for the US border
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 15:42:18
CIUDAD HIDALGO,Charles H. Sloan México (AP) — About 3,000 migrants from around a dozen countries left from Mexico’s southern border on foot Sunday, as they attempt to make it to the U.S. border.
Some of the members of the group said they hoped to make it to the U.S. border before elections are held in November, because they fear that if Donald Trump wins he will follow through on a promise to close the border to asylum-seekers.
“We are running the risk that permits (to cross the border) might be blocked,” said Miguel Salazar, a migrant from El Salvador. He feared that a new Trump administration might stop granting appointments to migrants through CBP One, an app used by asylum seekers to enter the U.S. legally — by getting appointments at U.S. border posts, where they make their cases to officials.
The app only works once migrants reach Mexico City, or states in northern Mexico.
“Everyone wants to use that route” said Salazar, 37.
The group left Sunday from the southern Mexican town of Ciudad Hidalgo, which is next to a river that marks Mexico’s border with Guatemala.
Some said they had been waiting in Ciudad Hidalgo for weeks, for permits to travel to towns further to the north.
Migrants trying to pass through Mexico in recent years have organized large groups to try to reduce the risk of being attacked by gangs or stopped by Mexican immigration officials as they travel. But the caravans tend to break up in southern Mexico, as people get tired of walking for hundreds of miles.
Recently, Mexico has also made it more difficult for migrants to reach the U.S. border on buses and trains.
Travel permits are rarely awarded to migrants who enter the country without visas and thousands of migrants have been detained by immigration officers at checkpoints in the center and north of Mexico, and bused back to towns deep in the south of the country.
Oswaldo Reyna a 55-year-old Cuban migrant crossed from Guatemala into Mexico 45 days ago, and waited in Ciudad Hidalgo to join the new caravan announced on social media.
He criticized Trump’s recent comments about migrants and how they are trying to “invade” the United States.
“We are not delinquents” he said. “We are hard working people who have left our country to get ahead in life, because in our homeland we are suffering from many needs.”
veryGood! (76931)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- In 2014, protests around Michael Brown’s death broke through the everyday, a catalyst for change
- Powerball winning numbers for September 11: Jackpot rises to $134 million
- Pac-12 expansion candidates: Schools conference could add, led by Memphis, Tulane, UNLV
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Border Patrol response to Uvalde school shooting marred by breakdowns and poor training, report says
- De'Von Achane injury updates: Latest on Dolphins RB's status for Thursday's game vs. Bills
- DC police officers sentenced to prison for deadly chase and cover-up
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Ex-Massachusetts lawmaker convicted of scamming pandemic unemployment funds
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- This Beloved Real Housewives of Miami Star Is Leaving the Show
- Why Sister Wives’ Kody Brown Believes Janelle Brown Is Doing This to Punish Him
- Texas’ highest criminal court declines to stop execution of man accused in shaken baby case
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Arkansas county jail and health provider agree to $6 million settlement over detainee’s 2021 death
- Alabama university ordered to pay millions in discrimination lawsuit
- Powerball winning numbers for September 11: Jackpot rises to $134 million
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Man serving life for teen girl’s killing dies in Michigan prison
Police recover '3D-printed gun parts,' ammo from Detroit home; 14-year-old arrested
Marcellus Williams' Missouri execution to go forward despite prosecutor's concerns
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
SpaceX astronaut Anna Menon reads 'Kisses in Space' to her kids in orbit: Watch
Kelly Clarkson Addresses Being Vulnerable After Heartbreak
Is sesame oil good for you? Here’s why you should pick it up at your next grocery haul.